Sguil 0.7.0 Released

...and there was much rejoicing. Sguil 0.7.0 is now available for download. Sguil is an open source interface to statistical, alert, session, and full content data written by Bamm Visscher. A great way to quickly see the differences between 0.6.1 and 0.7.0 is to visit the NSM Wiki Sguil Overview and check out the diagrams near the bottom of the page. I've been using Sguil 0.7.0 from CVS for several weeks in production and it's working well. I plan to create a new virtual machine with Sguil 0.7.0 on FreeBSD 7.0. Shortly you will be able to buy a copy of the new BSD Magazine featuring my article Sguil 0.7.0 on FreeBSD 7.0 also. Check out the release announcement for more details.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Richard,

Congratulations to the team for the release.

Could you throw some light on why you picked the Qt License ? I am about to release an open source application and I am losing sleep whether to release it under BSD, GPL or MPL. What does Qt bring to the table ?
bamm said…
Vivek,

The reason for choosing the QPL is really simple. Like you, I was having a bear of a time trying to decide what open source license to go with and I just took the easy way out. Sguil required the use of an output plugin for Barnyard. Barnyard was licensed with the QPL, so rather than ship two different licenses for the plugin and the rest of Sguil, I decided to just use the QPL for everything.

I still do not know if it was the right decision. I have plans to replace Barnyard, and when I do that, I expect I'll move to a different license.

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics